The Lighter Side
Shop Lighter Side.com for the perfect inexpensive gift. Lighter Side offers funny T-shirts, famous brand collectibles, plus holiday decorations and personalized gifts. Recycle
Friday, September 8, 2017
Goodbye England's rose
May you ever grow in our hearts
You were the grace that placed itself
Where lives were torn apart
You called out to our country
And you whispered to those in pain
Now you belong to heaven
And the stars spell out your name... 

20 years ago, Elton John performed "Candle in the Wind" - the song he wrote for Marilyn Monroe - at Princess Diana's funeral. His long time musical partner Bernie Taupin rewrote the lyrics to suit the most famous princess of our time. It was a stunning and heartbreaking tribute to Diana Princess of Wales.

My daughter and I watched Elton John's performance live back then. We watched it again on the 20th anniversary of Diana's funeral. (If you have box of tissues and five minutes to spare, you can watch it here.) Taupin's lyrics described the princess perfectly - a giving spirit who never let titles or station come between her and the people who needed her. She gave solace to the sick, food to the hungry, and showed compassion to everyone she met.

Princess Diana inspired a generation of young girls, including my daughter. As we watched the video together, she said, "I don't think I'd want to be a real princess." Not knowing what to say to that, I kept quiet. After the video was over, my beautiful young daughter asked, "But I could be like Princess Diana, couldn't I?"

Sometimes she makes me so proud I could just burst.

Of course she can be like Diana. You don't have to be Royal to be empathetic and kind, compassionate and caring. My daughter is all of those things and more. I'd like to take all the credit, but I know better. At least part of the credit goes to Diana, who showed a generation of young girls what it means to be a princess - in your heart.

Your "Proud Mom of a Princess" Gift Guru,
Linda

Posted by: Linda | 8:00 AM | permalink
Newer›  ‹Older

© 2017 Johnson Smith Co.